With the winter hitting us full force and the weather and temperature dropping to a new record low, I decide to make this hearty filling chowder for my family. Its an easy recipe that will fill the whole family up!
These are the ingredients you will need to make this Cheddar Cauliflower Corn Chowder:
1 small yellow onion
1/2 cup sliced raw carrots
2 small cans of corn ( I like using white corn)
2 bay leaves
6 tablespoon of unsalted butter
3 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of half and half
1/4 teaspoon of each: black pepper, chili powder, and ground nutmeg
Salt to taste
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 large cauliflower
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat, Add onions and cook them until they become tender.
2. Whisk in flour and continue cooking until onion brown.
3. Slowly add half and half to pot and whisk until smooth.
4. Add chicken broth, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and chili powder. Bring to a simmer.
Once it begins to simmer reduce heat to medium-low heat
5. Preheat oven to 450 and cut cauliflower in half and break into small pieces. Place cauliflower on baking pan and drizzle with lightly with extra virgin olive oil (optional). Roast for 15 minutes. Remove cauliflower from heat.
6. Place in blender with raw carrots and with a cup of chowder base from your pot. Puree for 12 seconds. If you want a little more texture blend until consistency is chunky.
7. Add Cauliflower mixture and corn into pot and stir
8. Add cheese and continuously stir Keep at low heat until cheese melts.
9. Cover at let it cook for an additional 15 minutes at low heat to tenderize all the veggies.