During a recent trip to Miami for a food conference I tried something I thought I’d never like, Tomato Jam. It was delicious! When I came home I knew I had to try to recreate it and even more so have the kids try it!
I remember the flavors were a great combination of sweet and savory but with my recreation I wanted a more sweet and tangy and ok a little kick so a little chipotle pepper would be a must!
I headed over to my local Walmart because I know am guaranteed 100% fresh produce and tomatoes are fresh produce priority at Walmart so I knew my selection would be great!
Adapted from McCormick’s Rosemary Smoked Tomato Jam
Ingredients Prep time: 5 mins Cooking time : 45 mins
1.5 lbs of Tomatoes I like using capri tomatoes because they are harvested on the vine! But plum red tomatoes are great too!
2 small onions
1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 chipotle chiles
1/4 tsp ancho chile pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
TIP: When storing tomatoes keep them in a cool place out of the refrigerator! It prevents them from turning mushy and from losing flavor!
1. Prepare your ingredients- Dice onion. Cut tomatoes to fit in a food processor and pulse to a thick consistency. Do not liquify leave texture.
2. Add chipotle peppers to some of the tomato in food processor and pulse (remove the seeds for a less kick to your jam)
3. Add tomato pulp and onion to a stew pot at medium heat and stir constantly.
4. Add the Apple Cider Vinegar, Ancho chile pepper, Smoked paprika, Salt and both sugars. Stir constantly.
5. Cook for about 45-50mins or until jam consistency.
6. Remove from heat and let it cool
Watch how it’s made here:
The jam keeps for a good 2-3 weeks in a air tight container or store as you would any jam!
What is your favorite way to eat tomatoes?