It’s been a whirlwind of go go go days since the kids started school. The day before school started we took a trip to Philly for one last family outing we like to call them GUBxploring. We love Philly so much because it has a little bit of everything. This time however we brought our own family picnic.
I’ve been on a ciabatta sandwich kick and I got the family to enjoy something different this summer PESTO! So I packed us some deliciousness to enjoy before the fun!
Queso Pesto Ciabatta Sandwiches
- -1 cup of Basil
- -1 cup baby spinach
- -2/3 cup Parmesean-Romano grated
- -1/2 cup Cacique Cotija Cheese
- -1/3 cup pine nuts
- -2 garlic cloves
- -1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- -4 Ciabatta breads
- -sliced Cacique Queso Blanco
- -sundried tomato slices
- -Fresh baby spinach
- Add the garlic, spinach, basil, and pine nuts and blend.
- add the parmesean romano and cotija cheese and blend
- next add your olive oil and blend til creamy.
- Spread pesto lightly on both sides of bread
- Add queso and tomato slices
- Top with spinach and top slice of ciabatta bread.
- A little pesto goes a long way. Adding cacique makes it nice and salty but feel free to add salt and pepper to your liking.
Our food was not your ordinary family picnic meal but that’s what made it so memorable. Our sandwiches were fresh and flavorful and even the kids didn’t ask what the green stuff was til they were half way done! WIN!!!
I did make sure to pack more of their favorites and zucchini with corn and a little cheese ok maybe a lot is something the love!
Cheesy Zucchini with Corn
- 1 large zucchini cubed
- 1 can of corn
- 1/2 a stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup grated Cacique cotija cheese
- 1tbsp chicken bouillon -optional flavor
- In a pot add butter and melt at medium high heat
- Once butter is melted, mix in zucchini and corn.
- Cover and lower head to medium low
- Once zucchini is tender, place in container and mix in cotija cheese
- The cotija cheese melts making zucchini corn mix cheesy.
Family Picnic at Spruce Street Harbor Park
Our family enjoyed all our delicious food including some pretzles and fruit to acompany our ciabatta sandwiches and cheesy vegetable medley.
We had the perfect portions and they were so filing. Enough yum to keep us happy as we burned off food and energy on our next adventure.
The view is amazing on the waterfront. Besides being so chill it’s really family and kid friendly.
Roller Rink Skating at SummerFest Waterfront
During the summer Philly turns the ice rink into a roller rink. we loved skating as a family.
Little Man did pretty awesome. Little Lady still needed a little help from dad but it was such a great time to spend out doors for our last hoorah before school started!
Til next year Summerfest
Thanks to Cacique and Society Culinaria for helping our family make memories during a quick visit across the bridge in Philly!